Wednesday 24 July 2013

Try it twice - my experience with Uni

Hello foodies,

Today I'd like to continue on the theme of food that challenges.  Last week, I posted about steeling myself to try something many consider a delicacy, but many others also consider weird - prawn heads.  That particular story has a happy ending - I liked the prawn heads.  I felt a rosy glow of accomplishment in conquering my fears.  I am now smugly able to say that I am one of those "in the know."  I understand why food critics and celebrity chefs judging food competitions rave about it.  I get why the chefs competing on those shows serve them.  But, honestly, it could have gone the other way.  I could have disliked those meaty, savoury, crispy heads.  What happens when you try one of these renowned delicacies (or any food, really), and your gut reaction is "blech..."?

 
Sea urchin, or uni, in sushi terminology, is a sought-after luxury item.  The delicate orange roe, carefully harvested from the prickly, spiny urchin is prized as one of the very best things the ocean has to offer.  I first tried it almost 15 years ago, early in my development as a food aficionado.  I had only just started eating sushi, had branched out beyond California rolls, and was flush with confidence at my new-found sophistication.  "Uni?" I said, "Bring it on!"
 
I did not like it.  That first time, the taste barely registered.  I have no memory of it.  What stuck with me was the texture.  Squishy, with a slightly fibrous feel, because, really is a bunch of individual eggs, and almost foamy - like if you kept chewing you'd work up a good lather.  I swallowed it quickly because the mouth feel was so unpleasant.  Obviously, sea urchin was not for me.
 
But as I grew and became more adventurous, gaining a greater appreciation and understanding of food, I wondered if I had judged it too quickly.  I can certainly think of many, many other things that I had disliked at first, but that upon trying again I came to like, even love.  Liver, for example.  Mushrooms.  So, earlier this year, I decided to give uni another try.
 
I went to my favourite sushi place (Wasabi, in the Byward Market), and ordered a single piece of uni sushi in addition to my rainbow roll.  Positive that this time I was better equipped to handle the particular challenges presented by the uni, I popped it in my mouth.  I still did not like it.  My initial take on the texture all those years ago was confirmed, but this time, I did not swallow quickly to get past the unpleasantness.  I forced myself to taste it.  I could tell it was quality stuff.  Fresh.  But that briny ocean taste that I love so much in a raw oyster was different with the uni.  I wouldn't say it was fishy, exactly, but it was oceany and intense, and too concentrated for my liking.  I can now say for certain that I do not like uni.  At least, not raw, as sushi/sashimi.  I may even try it again in one of the many other possible preparations, ones that may overcome the texture/intensity issues that make me dislike the sushi.
 
All this to arrive at....  when I don't like something, I try it a second time.  Not the same day.  I don't take two consecutive bites; that just creates a food aversion.  I take the time to process.  Put it aside and think about why I didn't like it.  Then days, weeks, months, or even years later, I try it again.  Only if it fails the beta test will I say I truly don't like it. 
 
After all, the only truly irredeemable food is raisins.
 
On another subject...  Follow me on twitter (@culinarykira) for notifications of blog updates, plus random food and food culture related observations.


No comments:

Post a Comment